Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Physical Preparedness


Last October I seriously injured my back.  Over the past 6 months the injury has flared up again and again.  Last week, as I was packing for our move, it flared up to the point that I can hardly walk. 

Instead of putting it off with my usual sense of procrastination, I made an appointment with my family doctor and took time off work to have this taken care of.  Generally, if I go to the doctor at all, I hit a walk-in clinic after work.  To be fair, I've gone to walk-ins twice since the injury.  One doctor prescribed anti-depressants and the other offered narcotic pain killers.  None of which, of course, actually solve the problem.

At last some relief!

The doctor sent me immediately for x-rays and found some degenerative disc issues.  She also suspects a herniation.  She has given me an anti-inflammatory that provided some instant relief and got me into physical therapy the next day.

Preparedness is more than storing food.  If I can't garden or walk up and down my stairs, all the food in the world won't save us if the SHTF and survival requires me to actively defend my home or produce our food.

No comments:

Post a Comment