Monday, February 21, 2011

I think this is what they mean by "Hyperinflation"


Of course, we've all heard about the unseasonable freezes down South and it's effect on food prices.  The mass media is downplaying it and talking about increases of 12-15%.

Well, try 25-300% as evidenced by the price changes I recorded at our local Wal-Mart Superstore, generally the cheapest place in town to buy food.

Oranges (5 pound bag)        3.97 NOW 6.97
Fresh Broccoli                     1.47 NOW 3.47
Baby Carrots                       0.97 Now 1.47

Even though I was expecting a price increase, I was astounded at the huge inflation I saw.  Luckily, yesterday the prices of frozen veggies remained unchanged.  I bought as much as I could stuff into my freezer.  As well, I bought a 10 pound bag of flour and 3 small bags of rice.  Because I'm moving in less than a week, I had been putting off purchasing larger amounts until I relocated.  However, I don't feel like this can wait.

If prices continue to leap up like this, people are going to be desperate within months.  Prep your little hearts out, my friends.  While others are trying to figure out how to by food, this won't hurt our budgets nearly as much.  Get that garden planned and figure out how to extend your growing season and preserve your harvests for as long as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment