Sunday, February 6, 2011

Don't be Weighed Down


I'm about 20 pounds overweight and pretty darned out of shape.

I have a reoccurring back issue that leaves me nearly crippled sometimes.

If the SHTF, these things are really going to hold me back from protecting and providing for my children.

One of the first things I need to do is drop 20 pounds.  Lots of benefits there:

~ I'll be more comfortable eating less, which will allow supplies to go further
~ It will reduce some of the strain on my back
~ It will help me build my endurance by having 20 less pounds of myself to lug around.

As far as the stupid back injury is concerned, that's a little tougher.  I have a herniated disc and the pain comes and goes.  Lifting heavy things puts me out of action for days.  So does turning the wrong direction, pivoting from the waist and, heck, batting my eyelashes hard, on occasion.  I'm going to make a concentrated effort to heal this issue, using every method at my disposal and by learning all I can about it.

If we had to bug out, right now I'd be pretty useless.  With this injury we have no option except bugging in.  I can't walk very far without excruciating crippling pain and I sure couldn't carry a 20 pound pack. Thank goodness we will be moving to an easier-to-defend home at the end of them month (although the difficulty of moving in this condition is another story altogether!)

For me, the diet and fitness plan starts today.  By the end of May I intend to be 20 pounds lighter and way more fit.  Strong body, strong mind, strong home.  The physio exercises the doctor gave me will be completed every day before I allow myself coffee (a little internal bribery there!)

Look at your physical situation.  Prepping may be more than stocking in supplies if your weight or fitness levels aren't where they should be.  This kind of prepping doesn't have to cost a penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment